Sunday, March 1, 2009

Enough joy in one...

I am so in love with my kids! I don't always show it, and find myself nearly every day wishing I had spoken more kindly, taken more time, listened with more interest... Still, I cannot imagine loving them more!! The other day I was down about something, and then Elli started singing at the top of her lungs, "The Star Spangled Banner." I really need to get this on video, as it would surely bring a smile to your face. (: She doesn't pronounce every word, but is very much on key. Her voice is so so unique that you cannot help but smile and even laugh. I was thinking, "you know, if I cannot find enough joy in just that to get me through this day, then I am truly crazy!" In fact, I think I can find enough joy in just one of my kids to be really happy in my life! Really, each one brings such a swelling to my heart that I cannot imagine how I have become so blessed. I am so very grateful.

Tonight we had a VERY exciting thing happen. I was walking Elli downstairs to go to bed. When we got to the bottom of the stairs, I saw her trampoline and decided to try something. I put her hand on the bouncy part and asked, "What's this?" She bounced her hand on it for a few seconds that blurted out with complete clarity, "trampoline!" This is the first time (at least that I can now think of) that she has labeled something without having ever been coached. Usually, we practice with her, and then she may or may not remember it the next day. So this was VERY exciting! What's probably more exciting is how she seems so happy when she can say a word. It's like something has turned on in her that makes her WANT to learn and WANT to succeed. She smiles so big when she can identify something by touch. I am really feeling that we are on our way to more and more communication, and that is amazing beyond words. (No pun intended).

So, come on-- are you completely impressed that I have done two days in a row? (: I'm really committed to keeping this going!

--Christianne

2 comments:

  1. Hello Beautiful! How do you do it all??? You are truly my inspiration. I just recently read a biography about Annie Sullivan (Helen Keller's teacher) and thought of you. You are Annie Sullivan times 10! You do all that she did, plus are raising 4 other darling kids, keeping up a house, serving in the church and taking care of your hubby too! Then there is you amazing journaling commitments...are you an angel, because I seriously don't know how you do it all! I love you, H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dito to everything PixieGirl said. I'm so glad you feel so deeply blessed as I do about being a mother and having such wonderful children, and for me, grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete